This page has moved to a new address.

crochet school

Monkey & Squirrel - Charlotte NC Photographer: crochet school

Monkey & Squirrel - Charlotte NC Photographer

I'm Jenn, a stay at home/work at home mama to Penny, wife to Evan, and daughter, sister, and friend to a lot more. I absolutely love capturing beautiful every day moments from behind my lens, and I'm doing my best to do just that!

Monday, November 14, 2011

crochet school

over the years i've discovered one very important trait about myself. i need to learn a new skill at least every year. my body actually craves it, like a drug, or perhaps like a chocolate chip cookie when i'm pregnant. i find myself drooling over crafty blogs, until i settle on the one thing that just MUST be learned. (you may recall, last year it was embroidery)

well i was in one of these moods recently, and i set my target on crocheting. i've lusted after enough snazzy etsy ladies items (namely 1, 2, 3, and 4), to know that i just finally needed to get myself a hook, some yarn, and dive in! 

so yesterday i sat myself down in front of this here computer, and started with lesson one of the craftyminx crochet school. if you've ever thought about learning, i definitely recommend this series. it's a video turtorial for each day of the month of october. they're super easy to follow, and they start from the very begininning. for someone who has never even held a crochet hook, this was a must!

here are my very first stitches. one little length of chain stitch, and i was happy as a pig in poo!


and here is my first swatch. i was practicing the single crochet here. my edges are a bit rough, but apparently that is something that just gets better with practice.


i really just want to make granny squares all day long, but i guess i have to crawl before i can walk. any crochet folks out there with some tips and tricks, feel free to leave them here for this newbie. i'm just a beginner, but i'm already in love :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I've just gotten back into crocheting, and watching tutorial videos on YouTube has helped me learn a lot of new stitches. Granny squares are so much fun! Good luck!

November 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger monkeyandsquirrel said...

thanks so much leah! i'll definitely check out some youtube videos too :)

November 14, 2011 at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home