This page has moved to a new address.

feeling uninspired

Monkey & Squirrel - Charlotte NC Photographer: feeling uninspired

Monkey & Squirrel - Charlotte NC Photographer

I'm Jenn, a stay at home/work at home mama to Penny, wife to Evan, and daughter, sister, and friend to a lot more. I absolutely love capturing beautiful every day moments from behind my lens, and I'm doing my best to do just that!

Friday, April 1, 2011

feeling uninspired


it happens to all creative people at one point or another... and often multiple points throughout their lives. the loss of creative motivation. well for the past few days i've felt this very thing coming on, and yesterday it full on smacked me in the face. i feel completely uninspired. usually i can look at beautiful things online, or read my favorite blogs, and become absolutely motivated again. right now though, this just ain't so. i hate this feeling. generally there are about 120 projects running through my brain and i simply can't wait to get started on each and every one of them. well the projects are still there, but the excitement has gone. so today, in an effort to find that zest again, i'm doing some of my favorite inspiring things.

1) going out for coffee... silly but true
2) going to my favorite salvage yard/antique spot to cast iron hunt... it'll be muddy and messy but it never fails to get me excited
3) stop by some craft supply stores just to browse
4) tonight and this weekend play with anything new that excites me without the pressure to create a finished sellable piece

i'll go ahead and expand on #4 for a bit. i think when you craft for a living there is this pressure that you put on yourself to have everything you create become a perfect sellable piece. i don't often make things anymore just for the fun of it. so this weekend, in between cleaning up our house and rearranging some things (also one of my absolute favorite things to do), i'll be finding my inner inspiring mojo. it's still there, i know it is, but i've forgotten to tend to it for a while and i think it's just feeling neglected.

anyone else ever get in one of these funks? what's your favorite way of finding your way out of it? yesterday in an effort to start shaking this feeling, i played around with some materials and created that little lady above. it had nothing to do with anything regarding my shop and it felt rather good just fiddling around! i thought that might do the trick, but today the "blah" lingers. so apparently more extreme measures must be taken!

here's to an inspiring weekend!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger 3Pearls said...

I think it does happen to everybody. You probably just have to stop trying. Maybe give yourself permission to not have an idea for a few days and they will probably fill your head again. Hope you get out of your funk soon. Wishing you well!

April 1, 2011 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger monkeyandsquirrel said...

thanks so much! i just got back home a bit ago from my above listed tasks and i'm already feeling quite a bit better. i think a weekend at home getting my ducks in a row is just what i need. i've been out of town so much this month that i think it just threw me for a loop. hope you have a great weekend!

April 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mercury went retrograde march 30. sounds about right.

April 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home