This page has moved to a new address.

for my girl...

Monkey & Squirrel - Charlotte NC Photographer: for my girl...

Monkey & Squirrel - Charlotte NC Photographer

I'm Jenn, a stay at home/work at home mama to Penny, wife to Evan, and daughter, sister, and friend to a lot more. I absolutely love capturing beautiful every day moments from behind my lens, and I'm doing my best to do just that!

Friday, June 29, 2012

for my girl...


these days i've been thinking a lot. a lot about what it is to raise a girl today. about how everywhere you look there are images of what a girl should look like, and how they should act. it's a discussion that's been had many times before, but to be a mother of a little girl suddenly makes it all very relevant.

with summer upon us i can't help but be aware of my own self conscious body issues. they've been there for as long as i can remember, and i couldn't for the life of me tell you where they come from. the feeling has it's peaks and valleys, but by all accounts i couldn't say i've always been 100% comfortable with my body. this feeling, the one that shows it ugly head when i just can't seem to find something to wear that feels right, is not a feeling i ever want to pass on to penny. she's going to get bombarded by it when she's older, and i want to protect her from that for as long as i possibly can. i can't help but see myself through her eyes now, so i'm making a promise now to you penny...

i promise you will never here me belittle myself because of my appearance...
i promise i will never ever talk about dieting, or weight, in any way in front of you...
i promise to never not take you swimming simply because i don't feel like wearing a bathing suit...
i promise to always compliment you for your qualities that have nothing to do with your looks...
and above all else,
i promise to be a woman you can look up to. to never seem weak, to always be what you need me to be, and teach you to never, even for a second, doubt yourself. 

this is a lot to promise, but for you my little girl, i promise to try!


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger RACHEL DEMSICK said...

This is quality stuff right here jenn:) I think the same thing about my girls all the time. Our society is twisted when it comes to body image etc. it's a big job to raise our girls with good self-esteem. I think it's best we prepare ourselves now before we find ourselves in situations to teach & we find our babybrains at a loss. I totally can relate to EVERYHING in this post. Thanks for writin it:)

July 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger b said...

penny has one awesome momma :)

<3b

July 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger samantha ramage said...

i love this manifesto! such a smart wish to present only a positive outlook of your body to your child. i want to do the same someday when i am a mama!

xo
sami

July 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home